These cookies, made from only a few simple ingredients, are full of fragrant cinnamon. The smell permeates the Mellark Bakery and spills onto the streets of District 12, luring in customers in the autumn and winter. A recipe created by Peeta himself, we’re sure these are wrapped and tucked into a pocket for Katniss in the evenings.
By August 13, 2013Published:
- Prep: 45 mins
- Cook: 12 mins
- Ready In: 57 mins
These cookies, made from only a few simple ingredients, are full of fragrant cinnamon. The smell permeates the Mellark Bakery and …
- 1 cup butter room termperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- Beat butter, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl until well incorporated and creamy.
- Add egg yolk and blend.
- Add flour, little by little, until a dough forms. Knead this (in the bowl), scraping the sides frequently. Form into a ball (for shaped cookies) or a 1" log (for round cookies) and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Place dough in fridge for at least two hours.
- Preheat oven to 325.
Slice log into 1/8" rounds
Roll out dough to desired thickness and cut into shapes with cutters
- Space evenly apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. If the dough has warmed, place it in the fridge for a few minutes before cooking - this will keep the cookies from spreading.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies barely begin to brown on the edges.